
English Language Learners generally come to school nervous and apprehensive about not only having to learn a new language, but being in a new, unknown environment. The author of this article, Jan Lacina, suggests that technology is a great way to bridge the gap for English Language Learners in any environment and any classroom. Lacina, a former ESOL teacher from inner-city Dallas states that while working as an ESOL teacher, she needed software that met the students' diverse cultural and linguistic needs. Because so many of her students came from different backgrounds, she found that technology created a common teaching technique in which students felt motivated and comfortable to learn. Lacina also believes that using the computer is one way that teachers can support Vygotsky's communicative theory of learning and can provide an environment in which learning is authentic and activities are interesting for the students.
Lacina suggests some easy ways to integrate technology into the ESOL or General Education classroom:
- Discussion Boards - encourage students to collaborate with others and participate in experiential learning experiences.
- Internet Chat Sessions - provides an authentic means of communication especially for shy or introverted students
- Web Quests
Meagan, This may be a repeat beacuse I thought I already posted something to you, but I can't find it now.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to comment that I saw a ESOL teacher at my last placement use computers quite effectivley with her diverse population of middle school ELLs. They were making books on recycling and they used the computers to research and translate. It was true that the computers provided a common ground and bridged a language gap for her ELLs. Now we just need to advocate for our ELLs to have computer in all their classrooms!
I am not familiar with ESOL classrooms and the experiences of teaching students from other countries but the information in this review seems to point to positive outcomes when integrating technology into the educational goals. I think that technology does seem to provide an even playing ground when students are trying to learn a new language and new social standards. I believe that technology has the power to bring together many unique and resourceful learning experiences and opportunities.
ReplyDeleteI think discussion boards are wonderful for students to use, especially ELLs. I think these can work wonderfully if they have a topic to talk about. The teacher could pick the topic, or to make it more authentic, the student can pick the topic. Then sit back and let them discuss. The students who are already good writers will become better, and the students who are struggling, they will learn from the students who are good writers.
ReplyDeleteI'd be very interested in how discussion boards and chat rooms would be utilized. I can see value in having ELLs use text or voice in these online conversations but I would like to see how teachers structure these conversations and provide some context. Basically, what are the conversations about? Personal experiences? Other academics like their math or social studies class? Current events?
ReplyDelete